Monday, November 8, 2010

Something to Keep in Mind for Our Next Adventure...

So back in Savannah, I found it difficult to paint everything I wanted to record. I felt like I didn't have enough time. One artist's suggestion: "paint smaller." It reminded me of MBK's last post.

Any SOT members have any additional tips of ways to paint more efficently?

Here's a quick color study of the side of a church I did while waiting for a pizza in Venice. I think it took about 20-30 minutes to paint, maybe? Probably should get some better quality paper and work a bit smaller...

2 comments:

  1. Maybe instead of working smaller, work bolder. Load up your brush with more color than you usually would and bang it out. There is always another page if you feel you need to explore the image more. When I think of my sketchbook as a facilitator to a good painting instead of a precious work, things go much better.

    When in doubt, use a bigger brush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punch the shadows up and the light passages of paint become stronger statements. There's a million ways to get faster or get better paintings in a short time span so thats just a quick "off the cuff" response but it would have made a stronger statement of this painting without taking longer or changing the way you see or draw or apply almost all of the information. Just bang the shadows in more powerfully and you greate stronger form in light. Dark colour, not thick pigment.

    ReplyDelete