Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day Special: Leaving your mark on the world

"I want my art to make a difference in the world!"
"I want my art to change lives!"

We've all made these statements, even if it was exclusively in our heads... but how many times have we been crushed by the follow up question: "How?"

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to that... finding the answer to "how" is a personal journey every artist must take. But for everyone's inspiration, here's an artist who decided to "make his mark on the world" in a very literal (and eco friendly) way.

Meet Jason de Caires Taylor. He's an artist who builds life size sculptures, dumps them into the sea, and encourages coral forests to germinate on the figures, and create new habitats for underwater life.


He recently installed a piece containing 400 figures off the coast of Cancun/ Isla Mujeres, Mexico. The piece is called The Silent Evolution:




Anyway, be inspired! Change the world! Make it a better place!

... But don't be afraid to use unconventional methods

_________________________________________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. There are two artists that I'm acquainted with that do things just like this! Amber Ginsburg and Lia Rousset collaborate and create installation art that uses all natural materials created by actual animals, organisms, etc. They take a piece of man-made something-or-another and show how the earth can should absorb these things to create new and better life forms, or they build mechanisms that take old, lifeless junk and work it through a system that creates new material for us to use (reduce, reuse, recycle). Here are their websites:

    http://www.amberginsburg.com/
    http://lia-rousset.com/home.html

    I met them at one of the Loop Open events, as they had a space rented out for the month, and they are such genuine amazing people who are SO passionate about their work. They inspire me every single day. They actually recently had a show at the Museum of Contemporary Art; it was like, the main event! I was so proud of them : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant remember if I've already posted this link here or somewhere else, but Theo Jansen is also working with natural processes in his art. I'm a little uncomfortable with the sense that he is assuming the role of The Creator in his work and that he is fathering a species, but I suppose all acts of creation are like that?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcR7U2tuNoY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a list of links for ecofriendly art supplies. I don't know how well they work compared to regular art supplies but if you're interested check it out:

    http://craftingagreenworld.com/2010/05/15/a-list-of-eco-friendly-art-and-craft-supplies/

    ReplyDelete