Sunday, October 31, 2010

Costume Craziness!!!

Happy Halloween Everyone!!!

Folks have been asking me if I’m missing the costume shenanigans back home. And as it turns out, I don’t have to. Apparently at the end of October, the city of Lucca hosts a giant comic and games festival, which can mean only one thing… Cosplay.

Cosplay-- short for Costume Play-- is a sort of fashion hobby that is quickly gaining popularity throughout the world. The basic idea is you dress up as your favorite character from any visual media. Characters can be taken from comics/manga, anime/cartoons, movies, videogames, blog memes, and, in some cases, famous pieces of artwork/illustration (ie Rosie the Riveter, or Vermeer’s Girl with the Pearl Earring).

Here are a couple of examples of some Italian Cosplayers :
 



So why write about it on the Son’s of Turner Blog? Personally, I think Cosplay is an example of the new emerging impact that art is has on the general population. People are hungry for new stories, places, and characters in which they can emotionally connect with. And, I believe, as artists and illustrators, it’s our responsibility to deliver.

Okay, discussion time, write a comment and tell me what you think. How do you feel about Cosplay? Motivational? Inspirational? Or just creepy? If you saw someone walking around dressed up as a figure you’ve painted, how would you feel?

Well, I think while I wait for you’re replies, I’m going to have a cup of tea.


Ciao for now!
-- Lucas

3 comments:

  1. I'm personally inspired by it, but I'm a bit biased because I grew up in that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I hope I'm with you if/when you meet some stranger dressed up as one of your characters, Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of dress as a statement, and an opportunity. A language. In fact I feel very strongly about the subject. Spent my youth, my twenties and some of my thirties feeling like I was on some kind of crusade to open eyes and break prejudices. Costume. Expression of self. Self expression. Dont get me started.

    ReplyDelete